Saturday, August 14, 2010

Hooray for Underpants!!

Well, Brock and Kyle have crossed another item off on the list of "Things to do to become an official big boy!!" - potty training. We started last Friday, and I'm happy to report that by this Saturday, I could confidently say that "We're there!!!". It was a long road (figuratively speaking:), and in the middle of the messes, I had my doubts, but they persevered and conquered. We tried the 3 day potty training method, and even though it took longer than 3 days (which I hear is quite normal), it was a good method to follow. It has definitely taught the boys how to listen to their bodies. I never could have imagined how grateful I would be to have a main level with all hardwood and tile flooring and because of that, my home survived the experience in pretty good shape:). The method encourages lots and rewards and praise, and the boys loved it. Tonight before bed when I was snuggling with Brock, I asked him if he liked being such a big boy who goes on the big potty. He responded with "I like the big potty, I like big boy underpants, I like stickers, I like everything!". Here are some pics of my big boys:


Brotherly love - awwwwww!

Showin' off our big boy underpants - we have Mickey, Elmo, Thomas, Lighting McQueen and all of their friends. What 2 year old boy wouldn't want to be part of that!?!?!?!

"See my belly button?"

There were many rewards along the way - coloring books, play dough, stickers, gummy bears, M&M's, glow in the dark necklaces (which were used as glow in the dark hoops to roll on the driveway and throw in the air late one evening - typical boys:), bouncy balls, and tools (these boys love to "fix"things and tools were just up their alley), and the final reward was to go and pick out a balloon. We went on Thursday night as things were progressing pretty well by then, and the boys had a blast shopping for their balloons. Here they are at the store, probably trying to talk us into buying all of them instead of just one a piece:). Thank goodness for Dollar Tree. The rewards would have broke us if not for that place!!

Celebrating their "big boy status"!

Home with their balloons.

Kyle, of course, chose a balloon with balls on it. A funny from the potty training files: each time Kyle would toot on the potty, he would scrunch up his nose and say emphatically "sompin' stinks!". I would gently remind him that it was probably his toot, to which he would reply "Oh.". After thinking about it, we realized that the scent and thickness of his diapers had probably hidden most of the odor of his toots before, and this was a totally new experience for him. Too funny!!

Brock chose the funny face. We passed the time of our 3+ days at home partly by watching "Elmo's Potty Time". I can probably quote the whole movie by heart, but I'll spare you all but our favorite line of our favorite song "Accidents happen, that's what they say- accidents happen, night or day - accidents happen, when we're awake or we're nappin', accidents happen, and that's okay!". This has been our motto around here this past week and a half, but if things continue as they are, we're going to be searching for a new motto - maybe we could try "Hooray for Underpants!!".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of my all-time favorite posts!

Aunt Rufie

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Mommy & Daddy! I'd say 10 days is an amazingly short time to achieve that goal! Good for you, and for your adorable boys!!!

Love,
Aunt Sandy