Saturday, July 17, 2010

Florida 2010 - part 1

We were blessed with the opportunity to spend 2 weeks in Florida this year - end of May, beginning of June. The first week, we spent on the beach in Sarasota, and the second week we moved on to Orlando and met Mickey!! We had a wonderful time, and I highly recommend a 2 week vacation to anyone who will try it:). I plan on lobbying for this for our family every year in the future - we'll see if I'm successful:). Here are the first batch of pics from our wonderful trip. Be forewarned - there are a lot of pictures because it was a memory making trip!!

Our little navigator. We started off on a Thursday afternoon - just to get a few hours under our belt. We stayed Friday night with Rob's sister in Georgia and wanted to get in there at a decent hour to spend some time with them. Before we were even on the road for an hour, Kyle wanted to look at "that big red book up there". We humored him, and he studied intently for some time. I thought we should just let him navigate the whole trip, but I'm not sure that we would have actually gotten anywhere:).

Brock is a little concerned that we gave the atlas to Kyle. "Are we really going to let HIM tell us where to go?!?!?"

Just kidding - "You forgot that I can't read yet, Mom!"

The navigator was all worn out from his work and needed a nap - a rarity for these boys when we're traveling.

I think that this guy was just relieved that we finally decided to have Mom and Dad find the way to FL:). A big thanks to Grammy and Papa for lending us the "big van". It defintley was necessary to haul all of our stuff, and much easier to move from front to back to entertain the boys.

Our first excursion to the beach finally happened on Sunday afternoon after naps. We got to Sarasota late on Saturday, then went to church on Sunday morning, and naps were necessary. It was a long walk from our condo building to the beach - a whole 50 ft!! This was SO nice to be SO close all week long. The boys had been to the beach before in Hilton Head, SC when they were only 9 months old, but they probably don't remember much of that trip:). Here they are checking out the ocean for the first time - you can tell we were well equipt:).

Brock is our "collector of things". This day, it happened to be sand shovels.

Kyle was a fan of the water from the get go!!

Brock, not so much!!

"Hummmm........ I think I'll just stand back behind this line and watch everyone else. I'm not so sure about this moving water thing yet."

Daddy finally convinced him to come in, but only when he offered to carry him.

Kyle is a splash bug.

I love this shot with the water spray.

But this is definitely my favorite because of his stance, his expression, and the droplets.

Wading a little deeper - he's definitely a brave one!!

"Okay, enough of the water - time to shovel!!"

"Do you really want me to carry this sand all the way up there??"

"Let's dig a big hole!! With 3 of us, it should go pretty fast!!"

Down to 2 diggers, but making headway:).

Only one digger left- the other can't stop watching those beautiful waves.

This was an expression that we saw frequently on Brock during this week at the beach. I think that the sound of the waves just put him in a trance. There were several days that we would get out to the beach and wonder if he was sick because he would just sit there and watch and listen. But, as soon as we would walk off of the beach, he went back to his normal active and talkative self. Too funny!!

Love this funny face!!

And this serious one, too!!

Day 2 we started off at the resort pool, and this became a pattern for most of the week - breakfast, pool, lunch, nap, beach, dinner, bed. What a wonderful schedule. I'll take that any time!!

Uh-0h, someone left their noodles at the pool, and Brock and Kyle quickly claimed them as their own.

What is it about a long, wiggly piece of foam that can keep a 2 year old entertained for hours??

"Take me for a ride!!"

2 noodles and 3 fish - too much fun!!

A much needed water break - I love how his little hiney was falling through the chair slats:).

"Chillin' by the pool. Now, this is the life!!"

I think they're wiped!!

Sporting the Thomas shades.

They had never worn sunglasses consistently before this trip, but the Florida sun trained them quickly - especially Kyle. Whenever we would walk out of the condo, he would proclaim, "Too bright!!! I need my sunglasses!!!".

Ready for a break - and lovin' some more Thomas on the beach towels.

"Bye, pool!! I'll be back very soon!!". This was Kyle's parting comment each day.

Love all of my boys in the sun!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pix--great memories. What a couple of sweeties!

Love,
Aunt Sandy