Thursday, January 22, 2009

Baby Bed-head

Wow!! Notice the date of this post?? That is the date that I started it, and today, January 28th is the date I'm finishing it:). It has been a crazy place at our house for the past 2 weeks. It started off with my first 2 Tupperware parties back to back last week. They went well, but required alot of prep time. The learning curve is higher than I expected with all of the details, but it has been fun to have something new to focus on. Then on Friday night around midnight, we got hit!! By what, you may ask?? The dreaded stomach flu. Poor Kyle was the first to succumb, and what a mess. Why is it that kids always get sick in the middle of the night? You are dazed and confused as you give midnight baths, start the laundry, and try to calm your terrified child. It was heart breaking to see how scared he was, and needless to say, he spent the rest of the night between Mommy and Daddy, with Mommy diving for the "pan" every time he flinched, hoping to save her bed from an immediate trip to the washing machine:). Mommy didn't get much sleep because of Kyle, and because I was just listening and waiting for #2 to succumb to the bug. I knew it was inevitable. At 6am, it happened. We heard Brock whimper, and Daddy arrived in his room just in time to see him finish christening his entire bed. Round 2 had begun. Another baby-clean up and round of laundry took off. Brock wasn't quite as terrified as Kyle, and actually, after some dry heaves, he was giggling as he tried to figure out what was going on. The worst of it lasted for 36 hours between Brock, Kyle, Mommy and Daddy. Mommy and Daddy definitely didn't have it as rough as the boys, but it's still no fun!! The boys are doing better, but each day that I think we have it completely kicked it, another "event" of the other sort occurs. I called the doctor's office today, and was bummed to hear the nurse say that the stomach flu is running rampid (sp??) and they are hearing of some kids that have the after effects for up to 2 weeks!! Hang on, dear washing machine!!! We need you now more that ever:).

On a much lighter and happier note, I'll update you on some of the boy's recent achievements. Kyle is walking more and more every day. It's amazing to see how his coordination has improved just in the past week, and his confidence level is rising, too!! He is definitely inspired by Brock, as he races past Kyle and gets seemingly every toy Kyle's headed for. Brock is changing almost daily, too. The little boy who had no time for book reading has started to show an interest in the past 5 days. I'm not sure if it was the flu that slowed him down, but he suddenly has taken the time to sit and listen to several books at a time for the past several days. He even cried inconsolably 2 nights ago when Daddy stopped reading before he was ready, and had to resume story time to calm him down enough to go to bed:). He also has become very vocal about what he wants, but in a not so good way. He can whine with the best of them and you definitely know when he feels that he's getting the short end of the stick or is frustrated with something. His most often source of frustration is the sharing of a favorite push along Thomas the Train, or when he has it all to himself and gets stuck against a wall or couch. I'm not sure how to nip this whining thing in the bud, so if anyone has any good tips, let me know. I know that it's difficult at this age because he has no other way to communicate his displeasure, but boy does it grate on the nerves!! His other new talent is showing displeasure to his brother. When he and Kyle are playing, if Kyle takes something that he has, Brock lunges at him with an open mouth. I'm not sure how he would have learned the concept of biting at 11months old, but that's very much what it looks like!! And, it's usually not just once. This boy has a memory!! I usually try to stop the interaction, but the minute I step away, he goes after him again, as if to reinforce his irritation. Poor Kyle!! He seems to be on the receiving end alot, but I'm afraid of what will happen when he's finally had enough. Watch out Brock!!

Kyle has a new word that he knows the meaning of. Both boys know Mama and Dada, and know what they mean, but Kyle was the first to learn a third word. Those of you who know our family won't be surprised by this but his new word is Cheese!! If we listen closely when we put him in his high chair and open the refrigerator, we can hear a little "cheese, cheese, cheese" come from the him. It's usually very soft, almost in a whisper, but we can definitely tell what he's saying. Then, when his request is fulfilled, he gets a very big smile on his face:). So cute!!!

Whining and GI issues aside, the boys are so much fun these days. They love to play with us and with each other, and can be found investigating any corner of the house that is not closed off to them. They laugh at each other frequently and definitely know how to push each other's buttons:).

Sorry for the long dissertation, but now you're all up to speed. On to the pictures...................

Here are my bed-headed little boys. Now that we're sleeping so much better, we seem to have much more frequent bouts of bed-head. Mommy doesn't mind this at all!!!

Brock seems to have the most. His hair is much finer than Kyle's, but I'm not sure if it's that or the fact that he burrows in the corner of his crib when he sleeps.
An up top shot.
Can you see my little spike on top?? I look like Dennis the Menace!!
Kyle has to get in on some of the pictures, even though his hair is lying nicely. They love to sit in the big rocking chair and rock by themselves!!!

I'm just not awake yet, Mommy!! Keep the paparazzi at bay, please!!
Sharing an after nap snack.
This is kind of like bed-head. Kyle trying on Daddy's 180's. He'll be ready to shovel snow next year, and Daddy will be ready to let him!!
Can you still see me behind my ball and cup??
I love my paci!!!
Still lovin' my paci!!!!

Another funny face shot from Kyle. Notice the ouchie on his lip. I didn't see it happened, but I heard a yelp and found Kyle laying face down with Brock on top of him. I'm not sure if the ouchie was from Kyle biting his lip or from his brother somehow, but it's amazing how fast they heal!! Thank goodness!!

1 comment:

Brad & Stacey said...

I love all of the pics...sorry about the flu bug. We still have a wicked bug at our house...it has hit everyone now, with Abby as the latest victim.